I don’t know about you but we could use some extra holiday cheer around here. This is the first Hanukkah my 4 year old will spend without her grandparents. We haven’t seen them now in almost a year due to Covid, although I’m grateful they at least got to meet my son who turns 1 on Saturday! It’s been a hard pandemic without them. Especially for my 7 year old, who asks for them EVERY DAY.
So… this year instead of celebrating with extended family I’m finding easy and fun ways to celebrate Hanukkah, winter and just being together (VERY together. Maybe TOO together?) as a family.
We already decorated our home for Hanukkah. It’s something we do every year, but we did it up WAY more this year. We added added twinkling lights, blinking snowflake lights and some other festive decor to our usual Hanukkah sign, Shalom banner, Hanukkah banners, dreidel collection and homemade crafts!
In addition to making my baked sweet potato latkes (which the 4 year old has been asking for ALL week!), I’m excited to debut another brand new recipe: Vegan & Gluten Free White Chocolate Covered Pretzel sticks!
It’s an easy & fun activity to do with your kids, or even just yourself! Obviously, you can use any color sprinkles or dark chocolate if you are celebrating another holiday, too. Although If your child was having a Frozen or Cinderella themed birthday party, these would be perfect! (I wish I had thought of this in September, when I made my daughter a 4th birthday Cinderella party, just for the 5 of us!)
Side note: I bought the vegan & gluten free mini pretzel rods on Thrive Market so it was delivered (at a discount!) straight to my door. If you haven’t shopped at this online grocery store, you are missing out! I’ve been with them since they started in 2015 and it’s been great, ESPECIALLY during a pandemic.
The girls had a blast decorating these for their cousins and family this year. I handled the chocolate dipping since that was hot, but the girls decorated them with all sorts of blue, white and glittery sprinkles. We then bagged them up in festive Hanukkah bags, tied it up with a blue ribbon and mailed them out all over the country. New Jersey, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas and Illinois better get ready for a yummy treat!
I always love to hear what you think! Please let me know in the comments below and of course tag me if you make them too.
Wishing you a sweet, festive, fun, safe & healthy Hanukkah!
WHITE CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZELS (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Vegan, Gluten Free Pretzel Rods (I used these mini ones from Quinn!)
- Vegan White Chocolate Chips (I used these)
- Vegan, GF Blue Sprinkles (I used these!)
- Vegan, GF White Dot Sprinkles (I used these!)
- Melt white chocolate chips in a double boiler (or mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water). You can also use a microwave, but I haven’t used one in over 10 years and am not about to start now. 🙂
- Spoon or dip pretzels in the melted chocolate about 3/4 of the way
- Place the pretzels on a silpat (or parchment paper) on a baking sheet
- Decorate with icing lines and sprinkles
- Refrigerate to set and harden, or let cool completely on the counter