Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- ¾ cup gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour)
- ½ cup almond meal (finely ground)
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¾ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- After 5 minutes, add baking soda to the almond milk mixture and stir. (It should bubble).
- Combine the count palm sugar, maple syrup, almond milk mixture and the flax egg
- Stir in the apple sauce, melted coconut oil and salt.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, almond meal, oat flour and gluten free flour.
Note: If the batter is too thin, add more cocoa and GF flour. If t’s too thick, add a little almond milk. It should make a thin batter
- Divide batter evenly between 12 cupcake tins, filling each one ¾ full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Frost (see below), and ENJOY!
Vegan Orange/Ginger Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup chopped chocolate (copped up leftover chocolate bars or chocolate chips)
- ½ cup organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey, if not vegan)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch pink Himalayan salt
- 3 drops food-grade ginger essential oil (optional, I used Young Living)
- 3 drops food-grade orange essential oil (optional, I used Young Living)
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and coconut oil.
- Stir in maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Add in essential oils, if desired.
- Place frosting in freezer for 15-30 minutes to chill and thicken (check every 15 minutes! Every freezer varies.)
- Remove from freezer and whip frosting with a hand blender until it is thick and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes (see above!).