So… I did a thing! A very cool thing (in my opinion!).
I MADE HOMEMADE FLATBREAD (with basically 3 ingredients!)
I’ve wanted to make a particular type of flatbread for YEARS now. I knew it could be done vegan and gluten free, I even knew it could be done with only a few ingredients and easily. But honestly, I find making bread of any kind intimidating. Also, my timing has been SO limited lately I just haven’t had the chance. Or maybe it’s just not been the right time… until NOW.
I can’t tell you how excited I was to make (and eat) this. My kids were too. They DEVOURED it. And I was fine with that, because it’s basically sweet potatoes and vegan yogurt!
I opted to use this as a side for my African peanut stew recipe, but it would work equally well with my Instant Pot Chili. It really elevated the meal to an entirely different level. It somehow feels professional.
This flatbread is super healthy with good fiber (from the sweet potatoes) and protein (from the vegan yogurt) and took only 2 minutes to cook! Who doesn’t have time for that?
So I say, while it’s still winter, this is the PERFECT meal for a rainy, snowy or just cold day.
Enjoy and stay warm!
In good health,
Sweet Potato Flatbread (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (plus additional flour for kneading and rolling)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup organic sweet potato purée
- ½ cup vegan greek yogurt
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2-3 tbsp avocado oil for cooking
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a small bowl
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sweet potato purée, yogurt and salt until smooth
- Add the flour, half at a time, to the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated
- If too wet (more a paste than a dough), add a little more flour and mix again
- Knead the dough on a floured or parchment paper lined counter until thoroughly combined
- Divide the dough ball into 8 equal pieces (I used a pastry cutter)
- Roll each piece between parchment paper sheets until flattened into a large circle, 6-8 inches in diameter
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat
- Add 1 tbsp of oil at a time and cook the bread for 2 minutes on each side, until it gets slightly hard and has brown skillet marks on the bottom side
- Remove from heat to let cool slightly