It’s National Stress Awareness Month!
Every year in April, health & wellness professionals across the country like to share and promote ways you can reduce stress. You may think it’s a little funny, doesn’t it just make things worse to be AWARE of stress? But as with anything, awareness is the first step towards change! So here are 9 tips to help you de-stress. At least, they help me! 🙂
- Exercise. Exercise is a great natural stress reliever! It boosts endorphins, which are your body’s feel-good chemicals. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of mild depression and anxiety, and help you get better sleep!
- Sleep. Getting enough sleep helps you feel more alert and aware and better able to tackle life’s challenges. Too little sleep and you can get cranky, irritable, and more overwhelmed by things that come up.
- Nourishing Foods. When you eat a lot of processed sugar and refined carbohydrates, your body has trouble regulating your blood sugar. You can get sugar spikes and crashes, which translate into foggy thinking, mood swings and irritability. A good balance of healthy fats and protein along with nutrient-rich foods like whole, organic greens, fruits and veggies is a great way to put yourself on a more stable and even keel.
- Have Fun. Draw in a coloring book, build a sand castle at the beach, plant a flower or herb, fly a kite, go for a bike ride, make someone a hand made card, the list goes on. A hobby or fun pastime can help get you out of your head and give you a nice emotional break from stressful thoughts and activities.
- Essential Oils. Aromatherapy has proven benefits in stress reduction. Young Living Essential Oils has a blend called Stress Away (one of my favorites!!!) that does just that! You can also diffuse lavender or even mix a drop or two with some epsom salts and have a relaxing bath.
- Be here NOW. Be present! Continuing to dwell on negative experiences can create stress in your life, as can worrying about what might happen! The past is history, the future’s a mystery. The present is a gift! 🙂
- Chill Out. Meditation or yoga are great ways to center yourself and reduce stress. Studies have shown that meditation is an effective way to reduce stress and treat anxiety disorders without the need for medication.
- Nourish in Nature. Multiple studies have shown a short walk in nature reduces stress and improves well-being. It can be be as simple as a walk in the park or hike in the woods, but spend some time surrounded by natural shapes and sounds. Your mood will thank you!
- Self Care. Finally, take some time to do something really nourishing and pampering for yourself. It can take whatever form sounds good to you; reading a book, a relaxing bath, a spa day, or a mani/pedi. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive, sometimes just reminding your body & soul that you care about it and want to pamper it makes all the difference!
So there you have it. 9 of my favorite ways to get less stress and more zen in my life!
What’s YOUR favorite way to de-stress? I’d love to hear from you! Let me know below!
Wishing you a calm and centered day!