I made these for the first time when my parents were visiting from New Jersey. It was Valentine’s Day so a treat was in order! They were a big hit! (and I mean that both figuritvely AND literally since I made them on the large side… They were cut in half but the other halves were soon demolished anyway) Make them whatever size you like! 🙂
For the filling:
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1 cup sliced organic strawberries
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup
For the chocolate:
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- Add the filling ingredients to a food processor and mix well.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, melon baller or spoon, form small balls of filling and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Put the balls in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Using a double boiler (or mixing bowl over a larger pot of simmering water), melt the chocolate chips and almond milk.
- Stir constantly until all the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- When the filling balls are firm to the touch, roll them in melted chocolate and return to the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to set.
They can be stored in the fridge or freezer. If you keep them in the freezer, you’ll want to let them thaw out on the counter for a few minutes before eating!
Hi Abby. These look beautiful and delicious! Do you think it would work using frozen strawberries? I happen to have some on hand and I’d love to make these NOW!! : ) Thanks!!
Abby Phon says
Thank you so much!
Although I’ve never tried it, I think frozen strawberries should work. They might be a touch more liquidy than fresh, but I don’t see any problem with it. Let me know how it goes!
Ok… so first of all, these are delicious! But you’re right, the frozen strawberries made the filling pretty soft. It firmed up just fine in the freezer though and I was able to coat them in chocolate easily. The other challenge was, although I had thawed the strawberries, the cold strawberries made it hard to blend with the softened coconut butter. So I had to warm up the mixture and be extra patient! Frozen worked in a pinch but next time I’ll use fresh strawberries : ) thanks for sharing this fun and yummy treat!
Abby Phon says
So glad you enjoyed them! I’m not surprised about the wateriness. Happy it worked out, and I admire your perseverance! Happy LOVE day!