Growing up my mother (and grandmother!) made the BEST brisket! It was a staple for Rosh Hashanah and Passover holidays in our home. I grew up eating meat, but I haven’t in years. (It’s better for the environment, better for me and WAY better for the cow).
I definitely don’t miss the meat part, but I still love the flavors of that dish. Now, I can have it both ways! Meet my portobello brisket. Cruelty free, inflammation free, animal free, environmentally friendly and DELICIOUS!!!! But don’t just take my word for it. I served this at a pre-Covid Passover seder and all my guests (non of whom were vegan) RAVED about it! I’m excited to make it again for Rosh Hashanah this year.
It is so easy and fast to make! Basically you just throw everything in the InstantPot and then go sit down and put your feet up! (Kidding… I have 3 kids and school is virtual! There is no sitting down over here, lol!). Easy peasy! You all know I LOVE easy and fast recipes but I think THIS is, without a doubt, the year for doing less if you are overwhelmed and exhausted like many of us parents with young, dependent children at home.
This dish makes a great main course for ANY holiday. Although I had no leftovers, I’m sure you could make a brisket sandwich the next day.
Hope you enjoy!
You can shop the tools I used by clicking the images below 🙂
InstantPot Portobello Brisket
(Vegan, gluten free)
- 4 large portobellos, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots, cut in half then into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved or quartered
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Set the InstantPot to Sauté
- Add the olive oil to the InstantPot and cook the onions until caramelized
- Add the garlic and carrots and cook another 2-3 minutes
- Add the rest of the the ingredients to the InstantPot and set it to Manual high pressure for 15 minutes
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes and remove the cover
- Give it a stir and enjoy!