This is a fun recipe for Valentine’s Day!
I remember Valentine’s Day when I was in 1st grade. It was the best. It was before girls and boys REALLY were into each other, so there was none of that “drama.” It was just such innocent, friendly fun to make and give cards to each other. I remember we created, decorated and then when finished hung big heart-decorated envelopes on the front of our desks in the classroom and then on Valentine’s Day we got to go around the classroom putting cards in all our friends envelopes. Then when I got home, I would get to read through all the cards while snacking on some Valentine’s Day treat my parents got.
As an adult, I’ve started using the holiday as an excuse to try out new pink, red or heart-themed recipes for my kiddos. This year, I want to share my “pink milk” – a colorful treat that’s FULL of health benefits!
I first bought beet root powder years ago to naturally color my girls birthday cakes and cupcakes. I never thought about putting it into their homemade almond milk until last year. (We all remember how having so much time at home makes you think of some wild and crazy things to do, LOL!)
Beets are SO good for you! They…
- support liver detox
- decrease blood pressure and improve circulation, which can boost athletic performance
- help maintain healthy blood pressure
- improve bone health
- are high in vitamin C
- contain powerful antioxidants that fight oxidative damage and help keep skin healthy
- contain carotenoids that help prevent macular degeneration
- and more!
Beetroot powder is a super-concentrated way to get many of these benefits. You can add beetroot powder to smoothies, baked goods, soups, and other recipes to provide nutrients and a subtle sweet flavor.
Pink Latte (Vegan & gluten free)
- ½ – 1 tsp organic beetroot powder (or more)
- 8 oz plant based milk (like my homemade almond milk!)
- 1-2 organic Medjool dates
- Add milk to blender or mixing bowl
- Start with ½ – 1 tsp beet powder, and add more ½ tsp at a time until desired flavor/color is reached
- Blend/whisk to combine and repeat as needed
- Add 1-2 dates for a sweet treat
- Top with my coconut whipped cream