Last year I made healthier alternatives to my favorite treats: Peanut butter cups, peppermint patties, mounds… They were all devoured at my Halloween bash (by both vegans, vegetarians and carnivores alike). Although these are still treats, they’re made with organic and healthy ingredients.
Below is my Mounds/Almond Joy recipe. To see my Peanut Butter Cups recipe, go here! They’re both vegan and gluten free! (Not that you or your ghoulish guests will notice!)
Mounds Candy Bars (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: Makes 9-16 Mounds (depending on your candy molds)
- 1 cup organic dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsweetened organic shredded coconut
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey OR agave nectar
- Melt chocolate in a small pan over very low heat using a double boiler.
- Using a small pastry brush, coat the bottom and sides of a candy mold. (Be generous, otherwise the chocolate will crack when removed from the mold.)
- Place mold in freezer for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to harden.
- In a small bowl, combine shredded coconut, coconut oil and honey or agave.
- Remove mold from freezer.
- Fill chocolate lined molds with coconut mixture.
- Paint chocolate over coconut mixture to cover bars.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
- Remove from freezer, turn mold upside down and pop mounds out of mold.
- Place between fingers and BITE!
Variation: Add two almonds on top for an Almond Joy!
Be sure to keep cool in the fridge or they will melt.
Adapted from Elana’s Pantry