This is the one recipe I’ve made the MOST of this summer! I just can’t get enough! I recently visited my parents in NJ and my mother said it was better than “actual” tuna salad! (I think that’s saying something from someone who eats fish and is not vegan!) She absolutely loved it!
I had mock tuna salad for the first time at an LA cafe this past spring and I loved it so much that I had to make it at home as soon as possible. I did, the following week!
I love making a double batch and keeping in a glass container in the fridge to top salads or sandwiches throughout the week. I also save the liquid (aquafaba) when draining the chickpeas, and use it to make lemon meringue cookies or vegan fluff. So there is absolutely no waste in this meal!
I hope you like it as much as I do! It’s SO delicious, and no fishies were harmed in the making of this dish!
Mock Tuna Salad (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas/garbanzos, drained and rinsed (save the liquid to make a dessert!)
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 1 dill pickle, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tbp vegannaise
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh dill (I often use more than this!)
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until they are flaked
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine
- Enjoy, over toast, lettuce cups, or more!