I had a friend visit recently. Normally people bring food TO a new mama, but she recently had a baby herself so … same boat! She’s a dear good friend who I’ve known for years. She used to be my neighbor when we were both married to our first husbands! Now, we are both re-married and have 2 children each and live close to each other again over a decade later!
It was actually a cool and rainy day here in LA (yep!) so for our first baby play date, I whipped up a batch of my super food, naturally sweetened, beyond decadent, vegan hot chocolate! It really hit the spot on this gloomy day!
This recipe may be a treat, but it’s packed with superfood secrets too!
- It’s sweetened with dates which are an awesome NATURAL way to sweeten something up. They aren’t just empty calories like processed white sugar – you will get some incredible benefits, along with the sweetness like: they help maintain a healthy weight, are great for seasonal allergies, strengthen bones, boosts the nervous system and increases sexual stamina. 😉
- Raw cacao has more antioxidants, gram-per-gram than almost any other common food you’ll find!
- Almond butter has protein and healthy fats which keep you feeling satisfied and full longer!
We enjoyed our hot chocolate while her son rolled over for the very first time (I was so honored to witness it!) and my daughter had her very first date (with an older man! he’s 4 months old and she’s 3 months)! (they sat on the couch together and held hands… super cute!). My friend texted me later for the recipe!
So… here it is! 🙂
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Decadent Vegan Hot Chocolate
- 1 to 1½ cup cup organic unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp organic cacao powder
- 1 tbsp raw organic almond butter
- 4 small organic dates*
- Pinch pink Himalayan salt
- Blend all the ingredients together in a Vitamix or blender.
- If you have a Vitamix, blend for 4-5 minutes or so and it will heat up. Otherwise, transfer to a saucepan and heat on the stove.
* Note: if using big Medjool dates, you probably only need 1-2.
Laura Haney says
If using Medjool dates, I’ll forget about the cacao. Just give me the dates, and no one gets hurt.
Abby Phon says
Dates are amazing! I love using them to sweeten all sorts of dishes (especially desserts and smoothies!). They add vitamins, minerals and fiber along with a yummy sweetness. 🙂
Sangamithra N. says
Just tried this recipe.. it’s soooooo good! Possibly the richest, creamiest hot chocolates ever!
Abby Phon says
Thank you so much!!! I am SO happy to hear you enjoyed it!!!
Ellen Bordman says
So timely for me! I’m avoiding dairy, added sugar and I’m addicted to hot cocoa. I mean, it is February and I’m in New England! I’m going to give this a try today! Thank you!
Abby Phon says
Awesome! Love it! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy and keep warm! xo