After baking over 3 cakes and countless cupcakes this past month, I am all cake’d and cupcake’d out! so a light, fresh fruit treat sounded perfect! This festive holiday treat is so easy and the best part, there is NO cooking so your kids (or friends!) can join in on the fun!
I love the 4th! Growing up, I had so much fun spending it with my family and a bunch of our friends and their families. My friend’s mom would have all of us over after the Fireworks (we would watch them from the park, snacking on chips, popcorn, lemonade, etc!) She worked at Friendly’s (a restaurant/ice cream parlor), so she would have the BEST make-your-own-sundae bar a kid could imagine. She basically served every flavor and topping they had so it was a ice cream dream come true. I kept her tradition alive for years, but now I have my own family and am creating my own holiday traditions. I think this healthy treat just become a staple. I’d love to hear about your favorite healthy 4th of July traditions!
Wishing you a happy and safe Independence Day!
JULY 4TH AMERICAN FLAG FRUIT SKEWERS
(RAW, VEGAN & GF)
- 9 bamboo skewers
- 2-3 bananas (depending on size)
- 1 pint organic blueberries
- 1 pint organic raspberries (or strawberries!)
- Optional: juice of 1 lemon
Note: The lemon juice is so the bananas don’t turn brown. If you want to do this, just squeeze a lemon in a bowl (you can add water if you like to dilute it).
- Slice bananas (about ½ inch thick).
- Optional: Dip the bananas in the lemon juice/water to coat and remove promptly.
- Thread 6 blueberries on a skewer, then add a banana slice, then a raspberry, another banana and end with raspberry.
- Repeat this for the first 4 skewers.
- For the remaining 5 skewers, start with a raspberry and alternate with a banana slice (3 banana slices & 4 raspberries for each kabob).
- Arrange all the skewers on a serving tray or platter to look like the American flag and ENJOY!
Happy 4th of July!