Want to survive holiday parties while staying on track with your health goals? Here are 5 easy tips to keep you happy AND healthy this holiday season!
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! – Winter is the time of year when folks drink even less than they should, since who wants a cold glass of water when it’s already cold out? Still, drink water! Try drinking room temperature instead. (It’s actually better for you and your insides and digestion that way!). Plus, the more water you drink before or at a party/event, the fewer empty-calorie drinks you’ll consume. If you’re at a party and going to drink something OTHER than water, definitely avoid the sugary mixed drinks! A glass of wine, or spirits with seltzer water (NOT sweetened tonic water) is a better choice.
- Eat before you go! This ‘may’ sound counterintuitive, but trust me. It’s not! If you go to an event starving you will eat ANYTHING, and a lot of it! This is when bad choices happen. If you eat a snack before you go, you will be able to enjoy without over eating, or falling prey to crappy stuff. Bottom line: eat before you go to a party/dinner and you’ll be able to appreciate the treats and still feel good after!
- Eat food off a plate. I know it’s tempting to grab a handful of chips and ‘dip’ straight from the bowl, but when you graze through a buffet you have no way of knowing how much you just ate. Put food on a plate, step AWAY from the buffet, and just go back if you need ‘seconds’ 🙂
- Support your system! Your digestive system, that is! With all the heavy ‘comfort’ food and sugary/fatty treats floating around, now is an important time to make sure your digestive system is running in top shape! A digestive enzyme really cuts down on bloating/discomfort and lets you extract the most nutrition you can from what you eat. A probiotic supports your digestion too, and also helps boost your immune system; extra-important with all the close quarters and frequent get-togethers. I use and recommend supplements from Usana, and am happy to share more about it if you’re interested!
- Enjoy! If you’re going to have a treat or indulgence, do it mindfully! Don’t eat a slice of cake, cookies or because “it’s there”, do it because you are truly present and enjoying every bite!
Bonus tip #6: A great way to not add pounds this season is to offer to bring a dish to parties – it ensures that there’s something that’s both delicious AND healthy, and your friends will appreciate you bringing something! Here are 3 amazing recipes that are great for parties/pot lucks AND great for YOU!
- For a main dish: a veggie loaf is really flexible and satisfying for a potluck.
- For dessert: almond butter brownies are my go-to treat to bring along to parties. It’s quick and easy to whip up, and they are totally delicious!
- For snacking: apple chips are a healthy alternative to potato chips.
Leave a Reply