This soup is perfect for St. Paddy’s Day, or any other day of the week!
I am a firm believer in not wasting food, as much as humanly possible. I had a leftover baked potato from dinner the night before, 2 leeks that needed to be used and an avocado that wasn’t going to last another hour! So… this soup was born!
I encourage you to use what you have on hand too! Rarely do veggies not go well together! My 15 month old inhaled this soup, the 7 year old devoured it, my husband loved it and it’s now one of my favorites too! Creamy, rich (without any dairy!), filling and very satisfying! Feel free to pair it with some crackers & vegan cheese or an avocado toast!
Note: Why do I make my own bouillon mix? Have you read the ingredients in bouillon cubes or powders? Even the vegan ones. First of all, some add cane sugar. (WHY? It’s not pie! If I wanted sugar I’d eat a cookie!). Second of all, they often have other ingredients that aren’t so good for you, like MSG, soy & gluten protein, beef fat, sulfites, hydrogenated oils, and the list goes on! So… I make my own. It’s super easy. I recommend doubling or tripling the recipe and storing in a jar so you have some on hand for next time, ready to go! It’s easy and inexpensive!
Creamy Broccoli Potato Leek Soup (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 1 medium head broccoli
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1 baked russet potato (or other variety)
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- garlic powder, salt & pepper
- ½ avocado
- water (from cooking broccoli & cauliflower)
- 2 tbsp homemade bouillon powder*
* Don’t have homemade vegan bouillon powder on hand? Here’s a FAST substitute that works great in this recipe:
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- Boil 2-3 cups of water in a large saucepan
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower and steam for 4-5 minutes
- While the veggies cook, slice the leeks and sauté over medium heat with 1 tbsp olive oil and a few dashes of garlic powder, salt and pepper
- When the leeks are softened (about 3 minutes) add the potato and stir.
- Strain the broccoli and cauliflower, and add to a Vitamix or high speed blender.
- Add the leeks and potatoes, 1/2 avocado and bouillon powder to the Vitamix along with a few cups of the cooking water.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick, add more of the cooking water