July is national ice cream month! Woot woot! What’s your favorite flavor? I guess I celebrate year ’round this with recipe!
National Ice Cream Day is the 3rd Sunday in July AND July is National Ice Cream Month! Both holidays were set up by President Reagan in 1984.
Fun Facts about Ice Cream!
- It takes about 50 licks to lick away one scoop of ice cream!
- Of all the days of the week, most ice cream is bought on Sunday!
- Kids aged 2-12 and adults over 45 eat the most ice cream! (*Note: I don’t agree with this statistic… from personal (ahem) experience. I am between 12 and 45 and seriously consume my vegan ice cream like it’s a major food group!)
- Air is an important ingredient in ice cream – it keeps the ice cream from freezing solid!
- Its the All American dessert and consumed in over 90% of U.S. homes.
- Ben Franklin, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were known to have been regular eaters of ice cream.
- It is said that today there are over 1,000 ice cream flavors.
- Charles E. Minches of Missouri is credited with inventing the ice cream cone at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis.
Right now, where I live, cherries are in season and popping up in my local farmers market. My favorite way to enjoy these fresh, deep red beauties has always been to just eat them raw by the handful. I’m excited to say that now I have another favorite way, in this recipe!
Some benefits of eating cherries:
- Sleep better – Cherries are one of the few natural sources of Melatonin, an important sleep-regulating hormone.
- Cure migraines and combat arthritis – I’ve been prescribing cherries to people for years! Cherries reduce inflammation, which is often the root cause of these ailments.
- Prevent premature aging – Cherries are packed with antioxidants!
- Help fight cancer & disease – Cherries are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to promote natural health.
- Weight loss – Tart cherries actually encourage your body to burn fat!
This ice “cream” is so yummy and delicious, you won’t miss the dairy! It’s got 3 simple ingredients: banana, cherry and chocolate chips. Check out the recipe AND cooking video below!
“Life is like an ice cream cone, you have to lick it one day at a time.”
Charles M. Schulz
I love to hear from you! Please let me know what you think in the comments below and on YouTube! Thanks! 🙂
Want to see this recipe in action? Check it out on my YouTube channel!
Cherry Garcia Nice Cream
(Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 1½ cup frozen cherries
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Put the frozen cherries and bananas into a Vitamix or high-speed blender
- Add chocolate chips (and pulse or stir)