Every Friday is special. It’s special because it’s the start of our Sabbath.
A beautiful crisp, clean white tablecloth floats on the table, we take out our wine glasses and fill them with “wine juice” (a.k.a. grape juice) and you can smell the fresh challah baking in the oven.
My family has a few traditions for this weekly holiday. Besides lighting the Shabbat candles, saying the prayers over the wine (or juice) and challah bread, we go around the table and say what we are grateful for and/or what our favorite part of our week was. I also like to serve a special dessert, since we don’t have ‘dessert’ the rest of the week. (Although we do have fruit or berries after dinner most nights).
On a super busy week, I’ll just take fresh organic strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mulberries etc. from our local farmers market and my homemade whipped cream (recipe on my blog!) but I like to mix it up and do something different when I can.
Today I made my first blackberry galette! (Did you know these dark berries are often called one of the healthiest foods you can eat! I share more of the benefits of blackberries below) Anyway, my NEW recipe was so easy and fast it might become a staple. I’m already thinking of making a blueberry galette next week!
Check out my IG Stories to see how I made this yummy treat! My girls were great helpers (when they weren’t eating all the blackberries, lol!). They washed and dried the berries. They helped me mix in all the ingredients, like fresh organic lemon zest, coconut sugar and organic corn starch and stir it up. Then they assisted me with rolling out the dough and pouring the berry mixture in the middle.
I folded over the corners and popped it in the oven. It was SO fast and easy… (from start to finish in under an hour! And most of that is baking… since making it is about 10 minutes!) perfect for a special weeknight dessert after a long and stressful week (anyone else’s beloved nanny give notice!? OY!)
Anyway, I hope you get a chance to get to your local farmers market, buy some berries and make this quick and easy dessert that is LOADED with benefits.
💙 are loaded with antioxidants
💙 fight inflammation
💙 improve digestion
💙 are high in fiber
💙 help manage diabetes
💙 are great for your skin
💙 may protect against cancer
💙 improve brain health
💙 may protect against memory loss
💙 are high in magnesium & potassium
💙 are great for your bones and heart
and I can go ON… but the most important benefit? They are delicious!
Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you make it please be sure to tag me! 🙂
Easy Blackberry Galette (Vegan)
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry, thawed per package instructions
- 3 cups blackberries
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1½ tbsp organic cornstarch
- Juice & zest of 1 organic lemon
- Non-dairy milk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Gently stir blackberries, coconut palm sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice & lemon zest together in a mixing bowl
- Roll out puff pastry so it’s even and just a little flattened
- Transfer puff pastry to a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Pour the berry mixture into the center of the puff pastry and flatten with a spoon, leaving a 2″ border on each edge
- Fold the puff pastry edges over to make a 2-layer crust the edges, but leaves the center with the berries open
- Brush the edges with non-dairy milk
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are puffed and golden brown